A Tale of three Kings: A Study in Brokenness - Gene Edwards
God has a university. It’s a small school. Few enrol; even fewer graduate. Very, very few indeed. God has this school because he does not have broken men and women. Instead, he has several other types of people. He has people who claim to have God’s authority... and don’t – people who claim to be broken... and aren’t. And people who do have God’s authority, but who are (mad and) unbroken.

In God’s sacred school of submission and brokenness, why are there so few students? Because all students in this school must suffer much pain. (Excerpt from book)

A Tale Of Three Kings by Gene Edwards is considered a modern classic of Christian literature. It was published in 1980 yet still often appears on the list of the top 100 sellers of Christian books. It has become assigned reading in Bible schools and seminaries worldwide, and has been translated into thirty languages. Funny thing is that I never knew this book existed until a wise mentor friend of mine encouraged me to read it recently. I'm so glad he did.

A Tale Of Three Kings does not fall easily into any genre. It is a study in brokenness, but is written as a first person narrative delving into King David's struggle with Saul and Absalom (and the reader's comparison to each of the three kings). It contains many fictional conversations by David so I guess the closest genres would be historical fiction/classic.

Perhaps it was just a very timely read, or where I currently am in my Spiritual walk, but I can say that this book ministered to me on a level no other fictional book has thus far. I cannot recommend this book more highly to any person in ministry leadership, especially those who have at times struggled with the authority God has placed them under. To the casual Christian however, this book may not have the same impact, nor the relevance, nor the revelation... then again, it just might.