Sinner - Ted Dekker
For those of you who didn't know, 'Sinner' is the third book in the 'Paradise' trilogy written by Ted Dekker. The trilogy involves the 'Books of History' which the Circle trilogy was all about ('Green' is coming out this year... will that mean it will be the Circle quadrilogy?). I love the way Dekker's books all seem to be linked to each other... even 'House' is linked to Paradise. But I digress.

Sinner is written as two books (Book 1 and Book 2 interestingly enough) and tells the story of three aldult orphans, each gifted with superpowers, living in the near future where religious tolerance rules. I won't say anymore about the plot, except to say that it is by far Dekker's most 'Christian' book to date, and that Jon Dylan was absolutely right when he commented: "The way Dekker tells the story seems to blow conventional plot unraveling clear out of the water."

Dekker himself says that the reader can read the Circle and Paradise books in any order, but I strongly suggest that you read Showdown, Saint, and Sinner in that order and relatively close to each other. I read Showdown 3 years ago, and while reading Sinner, I wish I had the Showdown story fresh in my memory.

The book has got me thinking about hate-speech and tolerance more than ever before. Dekker makes some very intelligent and frightening statements in this book about what the very near furute could hold, and quite frankly, it scares me.

Is the story great? I think so. Showdown is a masterpiece, the first half of Saint is brilliant, Sinner is great. Read them in order, and please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

One last comment, Marsuvees Black returns in Sinner... "Wanna trip, baby?"